Monday, October 15, 2012

The Plague

Frank Herbert's book "The Plague" left me with "Wow!".  It was very thought-provoking and rather scary in that it could happen.  This was written in the 80's-a time before a lot of the technology he mentions was a reality.  A scientist gets revenge when his wife and children were killed in a bomb set by the IRA in England.  He creates a virus that only kills women.  There are lengthy descriptions of the methods of altering dna.  I could have just taken his word, but true science fiction fans would appreciate the details.  Toward the end I was skipping over that.  For Shame!  And his ongoing explanations of the Irish angst was a little much.  However, the scary part is you could totally see the world's reactions in the way he explained.  And right now there is a meningitis fungal killer caused by contaminated medicine.  I have got to stop reading apocalyptic novels.  It is just too scary.  Oh, did I mention I am reading the book "The Island-Fallen Earth" by Michael Stark?  They do it in parts, doggone it, but the second part is when I really got spooked.  

No comments:

Post a Comment