Thursday, February 28, 2013

Note To Self

Note to Self:  Do not read zombie book before going to sleep.  Two nights of disturbed sleep is enough.  I have been reading "The Creepers" by Norman Dixon.  It has a good premise and reasonable post-apocalyptic situation.  However, it is too disturbing and I realized why.  It is too horribly realistic.  I cannot denigrate Mr. Dixon's writing ability but I am not going to finish this book.  

On the other hand, I just finished W. Somerset Maugham's "The Razor's Edge".  I loved it.  It is an older book, and the copy I had was falling apart.  I literally had to hold it together to read it.  Maugham relates the story of a man who was disillusioned by war and sought the meaning of life.  You feel as though Maugham is sitting at a table with you telling the story.  You feel as though you know the people he talks about. He writes in an unhurried way, which I find refreshing.  I wish I had discovered this author earlier.  I thought it was interesting to read about his life.  It helps to see where he is coming from in his writing.  I am going to search for more of his books.

No comments:

Post a Comment